DIY: SANITIZE YO' SELF
I use public transportation everyday working in the big apple, so as you can imagine, every now and then I need hand sanitizer, like ASAP! (Cali girl at heart, NYC mover and shaker by day.) Traditional store bought hand sanitizers can contain a bunch of not-so-great ingredients with toxic chemical scents that you just don’t need to expose yourself to. To my city girls, moms, aunties, besties, and babes who like to stay germ free, I GOT YOU!
I am about to help save your hands as we concoct your very own hand sanitizer, the natural way.
DO IT YO'SELF HAND SANITIZER IN 3, 2, 1.....
- 4-6 oz. spray bottle
- 20 drops of 100% tea tree oil (tea tree oil is well known for its unique ability to kill bacteria. TTO is an antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial. FUN FACT, in World War II, soldiers were even issued with the oil in their first aid kits.)
- 10 drops of an essential oil of your choosing (my go to is always lavender or lemon. 🍋)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of witch hazel (works great as an antiseptic. Home remedies web explains, "the tannins, volatile oils, gallic acid, resin, flavonoids, and other natural components in it give Witch Hazel its astringent, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities.")
- 1 tablespoon of pure aloe vera gel (this stuff will soften and moisturize your skin, is an anti-inflammatory and also helps fight off bacteria]
- Mix the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Fill your spray bottle 1/2 of the way with cool, filtered water.
- Using a small funnel, if you have one available, put the contents of your bowl into the remaining 1/2 of the bottle. Try not to overfill. [if no funnel, just be super careful when filling bottle]
- Place the top of the spray bottle on and give it a good shake to mix everything together and WAH-LAH!
You now have a bottle of completely chemical-free hand sanitizer.
Keep your very on hand sanitizer on hand and mixup new batches as often as you need to. You’ll save yourself from needless chemicals, artificial scents, and not to mention, a few bucks on buying the store-bought natural stuff!
Let me know what you babes think! Cheers to being germ free the holistic way.
Peace and Love,