Spaghetti Squash + Basil Mint Pesto
My goodness, is it already A L M O S T the end of October + is Halloween really in only t-minus 9 days? No way. Way! Pinch me. #justkidding However, I'm finally accepting this whole season change swing and F I N A L L Y just bought my first *holiday item of the season—1 white + 1 orange mini little pumpkin as I strolled into Whole Foods Market yesterday! It's only just begun, please call me Festive Francis from now on (Francis is my beloved middle name) O H Y E S, I'm bringing out my holiday cheer through nutrition!
It's not fall UNless you've just bought your own weight in (every version) of S Q U A S H possible! Literally, not even kidding. Fall season brings out the best of the best acorn, spaghetti + butternut squash and I canNOT get e n o u g h.
Today (since Blu will be getting back from a trip today) I'm going to surprise her with a quick little dish of spaghetti squash with basil mint pesto, sautéed kale + shrimp for dinner! Trying to wrap my head around the fact that it is indeed *that time of the year—H O L I D A Y S E A S O N—doesn't spaghetti squash kind of remind you of like a mummy's intestines or something ooey-gooey like that? Or, did I just take that too far? Maybe. Or more like Frankenstein's brains? I think so . . . . . . . . . LOL, sorry I'm not sorry. Okay, I'm a little sorry for creating that picture in your beautiful mind but here is my Halloscream inspired dish for all to enjoy!
I N G R E D I E N T S
Basil Mint Pesto: here.
- 1 Spaghetti squash, medium sized
- ¼ cup Coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- ½ pound of Shrimp, shelled + deveined
D I R E C T I O N S
For Pesto: here.
For Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in ½ lengthwise—using a spoon, deseed the insides of by scrapping the middles of each half.
- Once the insides are cleaned completely, coat the insides with coconut oil (does not have to be melted) and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil, spray with coconut oil.
- Place the squash face down (skin side up).
- Allow the squash bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven, let cool.
- Using a fork crap the insides of the squash + place the spaghetti strands into a bowl.
- How cool? So dang cool. I’m obsessed.
- In a medium pan, sauté shrimp with minced garlic + ½ tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook for a minute or two and you’re done!
- Now, this is where the magic happens . . . . . . in a bowl, combine the spaghetti squash, pesto +
- sautéed shrimp.
- Boom, your Frankenstein inspired spaghetti squash brains are done and ready to be devoured.
- E N J O Y!