When Blu requests dinner, literally, all she ever wants is quinoa, guacamole + some sort of protein! Always. Tonight was no different, but what she doesn't know is that I snuck in a little bit of stealth health. Instead of whipping up E X A C T L Y what she wanted, I snuck in a few extra nutrients and she did NOT even know! #YOLO I made a quick little side dish (paired with fresh herbed chicken breast) that took less than 10 minutes to make + had less than 10 ingredients! Super quick, easy assembly and so scrumptiously nutrient dense! The super grains mix that I used (found this bad boy at Whole Foods Market) was a blend of red + white quinoa, millet, and buckwheat. Holy delicious heaven, Y E S.
Here's the recipe! Ps, don't mention my little stealth health to Blu . . . . . . she'll thank me later.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 cup Super grains, rinsed
- 2 cups Water
- 1 handful Parsley, fresh, rough chop
- 1 handful Basil, fresh, rough chop
- 1 handful Mint, fresh, rough chop
- 2 Lemons, fresh, juiced
- 1 Red pepper, fine dice
- 1 cup Golden raisins
- 1/3 cup sliced Almonds, toasted
D I R E C T I O N S
- Gather + prepared all ingredients as stated above!
- Rinse the super grains blend in a very fine slotted strainer to remove any residue + saponin. Keep running water through the grains until it appears clear, not cloudy!
- In a medium pot, on medium heat, add water + quinoa and allow to cook until all of the water is evaporated and you start to keep little holes form on the top layer of the grains—this should take about 6-8 minutes. Turn the heat down to low, cover and allow the grains to continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- S I D E N O T E: I love my quinoa a little "al dente" so I only let it keep cooking on low, covered, for a quick 2-3 minutes! Don't be silly, you can choose how long or how little you want to let your quinoa keep cooking for because it's all about Y O U + what you like best
- Once the quinoa is cooked + all your other ingredients are measured, chopped and diced as instructed—simply add everything together in a mixing bowl + mix!
- E N J O Y, woo!