Vegan Banana Pancakes
One thing I've learned over the past few years is that IT is never, and I mean N E V E R, too late in your day for a quad-stack of fluffy V E G A N banana pancakes. Never. Let's be real, I could (maybe I actually do . . . . . OKAY fine, I do) eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner—guilty. Pancakes will forever be a good choice, especially with the perfectly crisp edges just like my Nanie's!Today is no exception for a vegan pancake filled brunch. I've been feeling a little under the weather with what I think might have be the flu, but finally feeling a little better I took it upon myself to hush up the "flu gods" and whip myself up a quad-stack! #wishYOUwerehere This little recipe is vegan friendly (which is A M A Z I N G) + is so fluffy, light and officially in my top 5 pancake recipe rotation! Try it, pretty pretty please, I promise you won't R E G R E T it. Woo!
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 1 flax egg — 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon Nutiva coconut oil
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 100% stone ground whole wheat organic flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Tree organic palm coconut sugar
- ¼ salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup SO Delicious coconut milk
D I R E C T I O N S
- Create your flax egg: in a small bowl, combine ground flaxseed + water, stir, and set aside until the mixture fully coagulated—this typically takes about 5-7 minutes!
- Preheat griddle to anywhere between 300-350OF. Or, if using a pan, warm the pan over low-medium heat for about 3-5 minutes + spread a thin layer of coconut oil over the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Use a whisk to stir + sift until combined.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork mash the bananas—I like to leave a little bit of chunks when mashing the bananas (you'll thank me later.)—Fold in vanilla extract and milk until everything is mixed.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and fold everything together just until it is all combined—try not to over mix!
- Now, (I typically just use a spoon a dollop spoonfuls of the pancake mix onto the griddle, but for recipes sakes) using a ¼ cup, scoop batter onto the griddle. Wait about 1-2 minutes until you see little bubbles form + flip! Continute to cook for another minute or two or until golden brown.
- S I D E N O T E: I like to press the middle of the pancake to see if it's done! So, my little trick is that if the middle of the pancake gives a firm push back, that means the pancake is done! If the middle is slightly soft and you're able to leave an indent, let it keep cooking
- E N J O Y!
T O P P I N G S: I, of course, had to smother these vegan banana beauties with a little bit of Wild Friend's all-natural chocolate almond butter (with crunchy almond pieces) + purely elizabeth. cranberry pecan ancient grain granola + fresh blackberries, goji berries, coconut flakes, and a little maple syrup!